Okay, hopefully I’ve now whetted your appetites for lots of faintly controversial Bible-related stuff! 🙂
It turns out I’ve already written plenty of posts on Bible-ish topics over the last few years, which it would be remiss of me not to wave in your general direction at this point. Please forgive any repetition and woffle – when you blog over a long period you do start saying things again without realising, as well as occasionally writing utter rubbish. And I know my posts can be ridiculously long.
Dealing with difficult passages
- Is the Bible sexist? – an exploration of how the Bible presents women and how this has been used to justify sexism
- Is God homicidal? – responding to the brutality and genocide recorded in the Old Testament
- “Daddy, why was Abraham holding a knife to Isaac’s throat?” – a closer look at one of the Old Testament’s more disturbing tales.
- Why don’t the resurrection accounts match up? – looking at why there are so many differences between the gospel reports of this crucial event
- Questioning the Christmas gospel accounts – what to make of discrepancies in the nativity narratives.
Reacting against the Bible
- “Don’t read your Bible…” – why it might be okay to lay the Bible to one side during particular seasons of your spiritual journey
- Burning the Bible – a poetic reflection on whether it might ever be appropriate to consign portions of Scripture to the flames.
- What use is the Bible? – is this set of ancient religious/historical texts really of any practical use to our lives in the 21st century?
- Truth matters – but what is truth? – looking at whether the deepest ‘Truth’ is something that can ever adequately be expressed in words, doctrines or creedal formulations.
Enjoy! And please always feel free to leave comments on old posts.