AboutThe Evangelical Liberal is a blog to explore more open and liberated ways of being a Christian, particularly for those who have struggled to find their way within the evangelical tradition. Read more
- God bless America
- The Penitent Thief – a Good Friday reflection
- Peace on earth?
- Was God’s will done in the US election result?
- Please don’t let Trump in!
- Saul among the prophets – an interesting worship experience
- God bless Greenbelt
- Coping with our faith crises
- An experience of divine absence
- Why doesn’t God magically sort out our problems?
Top Posts & Pages
- 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', Evil, and the impact of Incarnation
- Challenging evangelical preoccupations: sin, scripture, soul-saving (and some others)
- Hating God
- Personality and spirituality
- Jürgen Moltmann and universalism
- The life cycle of faith - stages of spiritual development (stages of faith)
Tag Archives: America
I’m not sure if this is more a heartfelt last-ditch appeal to the good people of America, or a desperate prayer to God. I’m not really expecting this blog to make a difference – but I have to do something, … Continue reading
As a rule I avoid politics in this blog. I’m not sure politics and theology mix too well, and I think I’m better as a theological writer than a political commentator. I also don’t kid myself that this blog has … Continue reading
So, what’s everyone making of the unfolding story of how Osama bin Laden was killed (or was it assassinated?), and of the widely varying reactions and responses to the news? I’m particularly interested in the difference between the ‘Christian’ response … Continue reading
Rob Bell was never a darling of the Ultra-Cons, but with Love Wins he’s fallen over the edge of their abyss, never to return. In this book Bell dares to explore and question the received biblical teaching on hell, what it might be and who might (and might not) go there, and to come up with some rather different ideas from the standard evangelical view. He also dares to question the received wisdom on how people get ‘saved’ and what this means anyway. Continue reading