AboutThe Evangelical Liberal is a blog to explore more open and liberated ways of being a Christian, particularly for those who have struggled to find their way within the evangelical tradition. Read more
- Peace on earth?
- Was God’s will done in the US election result?
- Please don’t let Trump in!
- Saul among the prophets – an interesting worship experience
- God bless Greenbelt
- Coping with our faith crises
- An experience of divine absence
- Why doesn’t God magically sort out our problems?
- Cynical about miracles?
- Salvation – an alternative take?
Top Posts & Pages
- 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', Evil, and the impact of Incarnation
- Swearing at God
- Personality and spirituality
- The life cycle of faith - stages of spiritual development (stages of faith)
- The world as sacrament: the Reality behind reality
- ‘Daddy, why was Abraham holding a knife to Isaac’s throat?’
Tag Archives: stages of faith
One of this blog’s central, recurring ideas is that faith has a life cycle with recognisable phases or stages (an idea originally developed by James Fowler). It’s an idea that’s helped and supported me through the experience of my own … Continue reading
One of the foundational ideas for this blog is that of ‘stages of faith’ – the spiritual journey, or the life-cycle of faith. Part of this idea is that we gradually outgrow and move on from old ways and understandings … Continue reading
Sometimes when I’m struggling with all these issues of belief, I get all confused and tired, and just occasionally thoughts cross my mind like this: ‘Why bother? Why not just give up, cut loose, walk free? Is your belief in … Continue reading
Three times this week I’ve found myself querying simple either/or propositions about matters of belief. The first was in a ‘Liberal Evangelicals’ Facebook group, where a Tea-Party-voting contributor had posted ‘If you are Born Again you automatically become Pro Life … Continue reading
In the previous post I was reacting emotionally against ultra-conservative evangelicals. For the sake of fairness I’d like to redress this a little with a more measured and balanced follow-up. (Besides which, we do have some good UCCF-ish friends who … Continue reading
Has anyone else read Paula Kirby’s recent pieces in The Hibernian Times, ‘Atheism is the True Embrace of Reality’ and the follow-up ‘Breaking out from the Prison of Religion’? If not, do have a read. A good atheist friend and … Continue reading
Faith – like life – is a journey of growth, development, becoming. It involves change, movement, loss and gain. A number of phases or stages of the faith journey can be identified, mirroring the stages of human psychological development from infant … Continue reading