AboutThe Evangelical Liberal is a blog to explore more open and liberated ways of being a Christian, particularly for those who have struggled to find their way within the evangelical tradition. Read more
- Peace on earth?
- Was God’s will done in the US election result?
- Please don’t let Trump in!
- Saul among the prophets – an interesting worship experience
- God bless Greenbelt
- Coping with our faith crises
- An experience of divine absence
- Why doesn’t God magically sort out our problems?
- Cynical about miracles?
- Salvation – an alternative take?
Top Posts & Pages
- 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', Evil, and the impact of Incarnation
- Swearing at God
- Personality and spirituality
- The life cycle of faith - stages of spiritual development (stages of faith)
- The world as sacrament: the Reality behind reality
- ‘Daddy, why was Abraham holding a knife to Isaac’s throat?’
Tag Archives: Love Wins
I said that Good Friday was the death of religion and the end of theology. It was, in a sense, the last day of the old order; the death of all that had been true and real and important till … Continue reading
Have you heard the news? Apparently archaeologists have just discovered a new scroll dating to around 30AD, with a fragment of the end of Matthew’s gospel containing the words: “Verily I say unto you, I was only kidding…” Happy April … Continue reading
It’s Good Friday today. A day like any other, looked at one way. A day when injustice triumphs, when the weak and poor are trampled by the strong and rich; when the freedom-preaching dissidents and troublemakers are crushed by the … Continue reading
Rob Bell was never a darling of the Ultra-Cons, but with Love Wins he’s fallen over the edge of their abyss, never to return. In this book Bell dares to explore and question the received biblical teaching on hell, what it might be and who might (and might not) go there, and to come up with some rather different ideas from the standard evangelical view. He also dares to question the received wisdom on how people get ‘saved’ and what this means anyway. Continue reading
This is the final post in the series: Atheism okay; Agnosticism better; Theism best of all. I’ve split this post in two because it’s turned out kind of long. Drum roll… and now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, … Continue reading