AboutThe Evangelical Liberal is a blog to explore more open and liberated ways of being a Christian, particularly for those who have struggled to find their way within the evangelical tradition. Read more
- God bless America
- The Penitent Thief – a Good Friday reflection
- Peace on earth?
- Was God’s will done in the US election result?
- Please don’t let Trump in!
- Saul among the prophets – an interesting worship experience
- God bless Greenbelt
- Coping with our faith crises
- An experience of divine absence
- Why doesn’t God magically sort out our problems?
Top Posts & Pages
- 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', Evil, and the impact of Incarnation
- Challenging evangelical preoccupations: sin, scripture, soul-saving (and some others)
- Hating God
- Personality and spirituality
- Jürgen Moltmann and universalism
- The life cycle of faith - stages of spiritual development (stages of faith)
Tag Archives: entropy
So as I started to say last time, there seems to be an essential, elemental struggle within us between what we want to do and who we want to be; between our good aspirations and our innate and often unhelpful … Continue reading
Over the next few posts I’d like to take a closer look at two of the most troubling and controversial topics in Christian theology – sin and suffering. As a recovering evangelical, I hesitate to talk about ideas of ‘sin’ … Continue reading
I didn’t originally intend this as a reflection for Remembrance Sunday, but I happen to be posting it today and it seems strangely appropriate… If all the world is a stage and each of us merely players, what kind of … Continue reading
I said recently that nowadays I tend to steer well clear of anything to do with spiritual warfare. Back in my more charismatic days, 15 or so years ago, I was taught that we were all engaged in an on-going … Continue reading
Have you heard the news? Apparently archaeologists have just discovered a new scroll dating to around 30AD, with a fragment of the end of Matthew’s gospel containing the words: “Verily I say unto you, I was only kidding…” Happy April … Continue reading
We live every day in the complex interplay and flux of two different realities, or kinds of reality. The first is the obvious, everyday here-and-now reality of this physical world; the ‘present imperfect’. It is this current realm in which … Continue reading
Sincere apologies if I depressed anyone with the previous post. I think we have to face the darkness full-on before we can really see the light, but I could just have been getting carried away with my own melancholic eloquence… … Continue reading